Add Trinidad, Cuba
Start in Trinidad, Cuba, March 29-April 1, 2020
Trinidad, Cuba is a traditional Caribbean city four hours from Havana.
Add this to the regular trip to learn more about the Cuban economy outside of Havana. Here we’ll have a chance to learn about the tourism, music and arts industries. We’ll also have an opportunity to learn about Cuba’s marine biology. Intimate conversations with entrepreneurs and artists will be combined with visits to cultural heritage sites. You’ll walk away rested and more knowledgeable about what it’s like to be a Cuban.
Learn more about Trinidad from Lonely Planet.
Sunday, March 29
Arrive in Havana, Travel to Trinidad, Cuba
1:00 pm Depart for Trinidad, a UNESCO world heritage site, known for its cobble stoned streets, pastel colored homes and small-town feel.
8:00 pm Dinner at Los Conspiradores paladar. Located at the foot of the main plaza and the lively Casa de la Musica featuring live music all night.
Monday, March 30
Explore Trinidad’s tradition of arts and crafts, then escape the city to explore the sugar mills and communities built by freed slaves
8:30 am Breakfast at BnB
11:00 am Businesses’ site visits in Trinidad
Learn about the city traditions: arts and crafts, embroidery and pottery while a receiving an overview of the city’s history from an architectural, economic and infrastructure standpoint. Opportunity to compare with Havana’s system.
- Art gallery at La Casa de los Conspiradores. Artist Yami has achieved international recognition for her art depicting life’s strains on Cuban women.
- Pottery Shop of Alejandro Bastida, a cool place for buying souvenirs.
- Embroidery Shop, a cooperative of local women creating beautiful clothes and tablecloths.
- Orbein’s boutique jewelry shop.
1 pm Lunch at Paladar San Jose
a nice restaurant with a diverse menu featuring everything from lobster to pizza.
2:30 pm Optional excursions
- Expert-led excursion to Valle de los Ingenios (Valley of the Sugar Mills). Enjoy breathtaking views of the city and the long gone sugar cane fields.
- Expert-led visit to the local Afro-Cuban village “Manaca Iznaga”, whose heritage ties back to the first groups of freed slaves. This will be a unique opportunity for learning about the Afro-Cuban religion and history.
Tuesday, March 31
Spend the morning learning about marine biology and the afternoon with artists and musicians
8:30 am Breakfast at BnB
10 am Playa Ancon, snorkeling with a marine biologist
Visit Playa Ancon to learn from the local marine biologists about the current conservation practices and research taking place. Opportunity to explore the underwater environment.
Following the talk, get involved in a beach cleanup with locals and group lunch.
4 pm Artist visit
Visit to the home of Carlos Mata, “the painter of the night,” who collects and restores antiques. Mr. Mata will discuss his passion for antiques and show you part of his collection as well as his superb artwork.
8 pm Bar Restaurant Esquerra
Dinner at the Bar Restaurant Esquerra located in the very heart of the historic center—it offers a great meal and the ambiance to match.
10:30 pm Casa de la Trova, dancing, music
Head out to Casa de la Trova, an arts center where you will interact with local musicians including the town’s best trovadores (traditional singer-songwriter), a popular genre in Trinidad.
Wednesday, April 1
Return to Havana to meet the others
8 am Breakfast at BnB
8:45 am Depart for Havana